Saturday 12 October 2013

The Colour of Starbursts

Student wearing their school crest: pride.
Raffles Institution students wearing their school crest: elitist.

Society makes it hard for me to be proud of where I am. They almost make me feel ashamed of being where I am on account of my efforts. They make me feel ashamed of having worked hard. It feels as if I am being punished for achieving by my own merits.

It is very likely that this very stigma against RI students is what further isolates us from everyone else in an effort to be with those who do not influence us to be ashamed of ourselves, of putting in our best. We may go as far as to don masks to avoid becoming vulnerable to attacks on our person, become the very person others think we are, the very person whom we may not be proud of, just to protect ourselves.

Why can't I wear my school crest, school name and school badge proudly and not feel like it is something I should be ashamed of?