Saturday 14 September 2013

Confessions

...that might get me flamed.

1) I don't think Susan Boyle is all that brilliant.

While I do agree that she has a good voice, I find her performances dull -- not because all she does is stand there, but because there is little variation in the quality of her voice. She applies the same formula to every long note, which gets boring after a while when you've listened enough impressive moments. There also appears to be little emotional cadence to her singing, which I what I look for when I assess singers. I am of the opinion that Adele is a better singer.

But what do you know, I'm not a professional music critique.

2) I don't see anything wrong with homosexuality.

I used to believe that it was wrong, having been brought up in a Christian family and conditioned to never question our pastors. However, the thing is, I pride myself in being a rational human being. After comparing heterosexual to homosexual couples, the only differences I came up with are: (1) the genders of the couple, (2) the ability to bear children and (3) the eagerness of states to deny homosexual couples the right to marry. I don't think that any of those constitute sins against any moral or ethical standards. Homosexuals don't harm others by being who they are -- I believe that pardons it from being a sin, especially since the New Testament appears largely in favour of a liberal sort of acceptance so long as none of the 10 commandments are breached.

I still consider myself a Christian because I prefer to think that the God-given laws governing the acceptance of homosexual relations has changed since the Old Testament (among other things) and that all this homophobia is the product of bigotry and unwillingness to understand. I'd also like to think that Jesus, who dines with tax collectors and heals lepers, would not condemn homosexuals for minding their own business behind closed doors.