Sunday 8 December 2013

Make-a-List Day 7: Cookie Cutter Mold

5 ways I conform to the Asian stereotype:
1) I am smart (I believe).
2) I have dark hair and dark eyes.
3) I am family-orientated.
4) I have slanting, shallow-set eyes.
5) I am short and slim.

5 ways I do not conform to the Asian stereotype:
1) I am not knowledgeable in the art of sexual pleasure.
2) My hair and eyes are actually brown, not black.
3) I speak close-to-perfect English. (Although I do have an accent, given that I was not raised by primarily English-speaking parents.)
4) I don't consider my eyes particularly small or squinting.
5) My skin is not yellow. It's merely less pink.

5 ways I conform to the female stereotype:
1) I like to dance.
2) I like fashion.
3) I have weak arms.
4) I like drawing more than I like sports.
5) I like jewellery. Just not the sparkly, gem-studded ones. I like mine simple, metallic, and with unique designs.

5 ways I do not conform to the female stereotype:
1) I don't particularly like pink.
2) I don't like shopping.
3) I'm better in the Sciences than the Arts.
4) I do not have 100 different nail polishes, shoes and accessories.
5) My wardrobe has no skirts.

5 ways I can gross you out with the hypermobility in my hands:
1) I can bend all my fingers (except thumbs) back 45 degrees with respect to the back of my hand without assistance, and 90-110 degrees with assistance.
2) I can bend the last joint of each of my fingers (except thumbs, for obvious reasons) forward together or individually while keeping the rest of it extended. Without assistance.
3) I can bend the last joint of each of my fingers backward 20-60 degrees (depending on the finger) with assistance. This makes it very uncomfortable for me to write for protracted periods of time (e.g. 3-hour long H2 Art papers in which 7 essays are written.)
4) I can achieve a 45 degree angle bending my fingers at the first joint alone assisted and unassisted.
5) I am very comfortable bending my wrist back and forth 90 degrees without assistance.
NOTE: I do all this without pain, so no humans were harmed in the process.

5 ways to identify my skeleton:
1) I have a conical right canine in my maxillae.
2) I have Brachydactyly A3. (i.e. the middle phalanx of both my little fingers are unnaturally short.)
3) I am very slightly knock-kneed.
4) While I do have larger-than-normal metatarsophalangeal joints, the lateral deviation of my big toe toward my other toes is not pronounced.
5) If finger and toe nails are considered part of the skeleton: I have relatively thick fingernails that rest atop criminally long nail beds. The nail of my large toe is longer than it is wide, while those of my other toes are relatively squarish (except for my second toe, which is wider than it is long).

5 ways in which I am (even more) unique:
1) I have inexplicable stretch marks on my thighs, given that I have never rapidly gained or lost weight.
2) I have fingers long enough and wrists small enough to wrap one hand around them and have my thumb fully cover the last phalanx of my middle finger.
3) There is some yellowish discolouration in the whites of my right eye that I have yet to discern the cause for.
4) My elbows easily hyperextend by 10-15 degrees.
5) My second finger is the fattest of all my fingers (excluding thumb) for reasons I know not.